The ability to transfer your characters and progress from the last-gen versions of Grand Theft Auto Online will cease on March 6, 2017.
In a post on its official website, Rockstar Games announced that those who still wish to move their GTA Online content from PS3 or Xbox 360 to PlayStation 4, Xbox One or PC will need to do so before that date.
The current-gen versions of GTA Online boast a number of enhancements over their PS3 and Xbox 360 counterparts. In addition to improved visuals, the PS4, Xbox One and PC versions feature loads of additional content that has been added through free updates.
Rockstar also announced that from now until February 13, GTA Online players can get a 50 percent discount on Executive Offices, as well as other deals and bonuses. Head over to our GTA Online Weekly Updates guide for an overview of all the new offers and content.
Alex Osborn is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter and subscribe to his YouTube channel.
BioWare is making a brand new game that we’ll be able to play surprisingly soon.
The news was announced at EA’s investor meeting today by CEO Andrew Wilson, who described it as an action adventure title set in a “unique new universe.”
“At the end of the fiscal year, our BioWare studio will be delivering an all-new IP,” said Wilson. “A clean-sheet design with new concepts, new gameplay mechanics, and new stories set in a unique new universe. This game has the potential to fundamentally disrupt the way people think about an action title, bringing friends together to play in exhilarating new ways. We’re very excited about the future of this new franchise and its ability to attract a large global audience.”
Through the call the term “genre melding” was used, though it was stressed the new IP would not be an RPG.
On BioWare’s blog, BioWare General Manager Aaryn Flynn expanded on Wilson’s comments.
“As we’re working hard to finish Mass Effect: Andromeda, I wanted to take a minute to talk about our new IP,” wrote Flynn. “As our CEO Andrew Wilson mentioned, we’re creating a unique IP that will bring players together in exciting new ways. There’s much more to say in the coming months, but for now, I wanted to offer this additional background.
“In 2012, we began crafting a new universe full of new characters, stories, and gameplay. Our ambition is simple: Draw upon 20+ years of development knowledge and lessons to create something fun and new for you to enjoy with your friends. There’s nothing quite as exciting as building a new IP from scratch, and it will be even more thrilling for us to share more with you in the future.”
For a limited time, proceeds from sales of several games, including Fez, are being donated to the American Civil Liberties Union, which has been among the groups contesting the controversial executive order signed last week.
Fez maker Polytron announced the move on Twitter. Fez can be purchased at any price on Itch.io from now until February 6, with all proceeds going to the ACLU. Indie developer Kitty Horrorshow is doing the same thing on Itch.io for the next week, selling a bundle of seven horror games for $1 or more, again with all sales going to the ACLU.
Iranian developer Ink Stories, too, is doing this with its game 1979 Revolution: Black Friday, donating all proceeds between February 1 and February 10 to the ACLU. In a press release, it said, “By donating sales proceeds, Ink Stories endorses the work of the ACLU in hopes of supporting immigrants and refugees rights, by countering the grave and damaging rulings.”
Creator Navid Khonsari added, “This is deeply personal, as my family made the hard decision to leave Iran after the revolution, to come to the West, which was the land of inclusion. Today, I feel like I am reliving history. While it’s easy to be immobilized by hurt and hopelessness, I believe that now more than ever we are confronted with an obligation, where we must dig in, resist and unite. Silence is not an option—so I commend those in our community who are taking action and hope that other game developers and publishers will join in, as we partake in this crucial movement–coming from all religious, national, ethnic and generational backgrounds to denounce the ban–and stand with humanity, by saying that this is not right, willing to rise up against the injustice.”
Rami Ismail, co-founder of Nuclear Throne developer Vlambeer, wrote a piece for the Guardian that shares his perspective as a Muslim game developer. Vlambeer also donated all revenue from its merchandise and games to ACLU over a 24-hour period, raising just over $13,000.
During its third-quarter earnings call with investors, EA gave more details on the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront sequel.
The follow-up is due to release holiday 2017, with EA mentioning the addition of a single player campaign to the sequel. It also said the new Battlefront game has “more heroes and characters” than the original game, and takes place not only in multiple locations, but also across multiple eras within the Star Wars universe.
EA first officially confirmed the sequel to Star Wars Battlefront back in May 2016, and at E3 we learned EA Motive was working on the game. EA has Motive, DICE, and Criterion bringing “their areas of expertise” to the game.
BioWare’s previously confirmed new franchise will be out in the next 14 months, launching by April 2018, EA said today.
During a call with investors, EA CEO Andrew Wilson indicated the new game will be out by the end of the upcoming fiscal year, which runs through March 31, 2018. He only spoke of it at a high level, saying it features “new concepts” and could disrupt the action game space.
“At the end of the fiscal year, our BioWare studio will be delivering an all-new IP, a clean-sheet design with new concepts, new gameplay mechanics, and new stories set in a unique new universe,” Wilson said. “This game has the potential to fundamentally disrupt the way people think about an action title, bringing friends together to play in an exhilarating new way. We’re very excited about the future of this new franchise and its ability to attract a large, global audience.”
When pressed for further details during the Q&A portion of the call, Wilson described it as an action-adventure game, rather than an RPG, and suggest it will blend genres.
“What we’re seeing more and more is genre-melding, which is great components of a number of different genres really kind of coming together into single games,” he said. “And so when you think about this game, you should be thinking about the great RPG character development and storyline progression that BioWare is known for, but in a world of greater action and greater adventure, which is growing to be one of the larger categories in games.”
He also confirmed it will be a wholly owned IP, meaning it isn’t based on another company’s franchise (as with, say, Star Wars Battlefront).
“We’re not going to talk about it until we’re confident about what it’s going to be and everything,” he said in November. “We’ve been doing reviews with [Wilson], and I think he likes it. So, knock on wood, we’ll keep working on it and we’ll keep doing it. Hopefully you’ll hear more about that once [Mass Effect] Andromeda‘s done and we’ve satisfied fans with that game.”
He continued, “You have to ask yourself, ‘Do you want to do something that fiercly different or do you want to do something that’s very recognizable?’ ‘Do you want to take something that you’ve done and put a spin on it, or do you want to wipe the slate clean and say what would we do in this.’ And for us, what we said was we’re BioWare, so we have a certain kind of game that we love making and we know our fans would love, so we started with that and that’s a game that has as its heart stories and storytelling. So we decided we’re going to stick with that. We’re not just going to walk away from that. Once we agreed on that, everything started to fall into place.”
Further specifics–including a name, settings, or platforms–remain unknown. As Flynn alluded to, don’t expect to hear much more until after Andromeda’s launch in March.